- The Doha Grand Prix was first held in 1997 with only men's events included in the programme. Women's disciplines were added the following year. the Doha meeting rose quickly to firmly establish itself among the finest single-day track and field competitions in the world. Elevated to Grand Prix II level just two years later, by 2005 it was one of five meetings granted Super Grand Prix status. By 2010 it had grown to become the strongest international early season fixture, marking it as an ideal opening competition for the newly-formed Diamond League series. The first ever Diamond League meeting was staged at Qatar Sports Club stadium in 2010 on May 14, only two months after Doha hosted the worldwide acclaimed IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- The IAAF Diamond League Doha 2017 will be staged on May 5 at the Suhaim bin Hamad Stadium (capacity 15.000), Qatar Sports Club's home ground. Start time will be around 17:45.
- The 2017 Doha Diamond League scoring disciplines are:
Men’s events: 100m, 400m, 1500m, 3000m, High Jump, Triple Jump and Javelin Throw.
Women’s events: 200m, 800m, 3000m Steeplechase, 100m Hurdles, Pole Vault and Shot Put.
- Dr. Thani Al Kuwari the Chairman of the IAAF Diamond Leauge Doha 2017 Organising Committee. Dr.Thani is also the President of the Qatar Athletics Federation and The General Secretary of Qatar Olympic Committee.
- According to the weather forecast the temperature in Doha on May 5 will be between 26-34 degrees Celsius.
Entry Visa to Qatar
- Entry Visas will be arranged by the Organising Committee of the IAAF Diamond League Doha 2016.
- Visa process can take up to 2 weeks.